BBQ Bread - Endless Possibilities


This picture is of the amazing Naans I made on the BBQ yesterday. I was beside myself with delight. Summer is always a time of grilling and I am always happy to keep the kitchen cooler. I have however never found a recipe or the confidence to make grilled bread.

I make many meals that require a Naan. It had always eluded me to make a restaurant style crisp yet soft in the middle naan. Steaming from the tandoori oven and ready to be ripped into pieces and dipped. These would make amazing wraps for shawarma or gyros or as dipping bread for hummus or nihari or even a nice stew--oh!--and of course beef kabobs, shown below:


Ingredients:

2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cup warm water
3 TBL olive oil
1 1/2 tea salt
1 tsp white vinegar
3-4 cups flour

Instructions:

In a small bowl add the sugar with 1/2 cup of water and add the yeast, let proof. Now put flour in mixing bowl and add the salt and the remaining liquid including the yeast mixture. Let the machine mix until soft and a little sticky.

Place the dough in a bowl and cover for one hour, or until doubled. Divide the dough into portions appropriate for their use. I always weigh the dough.

I placed the dough on the grill with some oil on the dough and turned when the bottom turned a little brown. It took no time at all.  I can't wait to make Pizza or Calzone.




Comments

Popular Posts