BBQ Chicken Sharwarma & Naan


I love summer, it is so full of color and life and for me, unfortunately, heat. That means I want to cook outside as much as possible because I want the kitchen to remain cool. That is why this year when the old BBQ gave up the ghost, I asked to be the one to choose the new one. I find working the heavier four- or three-burner BBQs difficult just because of the size and weight. So I chose a wonderful little two burner Charbroil.


I can do all the prep work myself now, turn it on and off and move it and clean it. Believe me, it is quite the freedom. The last BBQ was a gift from my dear departed Father In Law and he was the one to choose it. Being a man he believed "bigger was better" and for him it was. I am thankful but it was quite the job to manipulate. This new little beastie, oh what a great name, little beastie is just perfect. I have already made BBQ flatbread on it and it was perfect.

You can find the recipe here: http://cookinmumsculinaryadventures.blogspot.ca/2017/05/bbq-bread-endless-possibilities.html


So a few days ago I wanted to make Chicken Shawarma on the BBQ. I love this recipe but to let the meat onto the hot grill usually results in a terrible mess and the tendency to burn the meat. I decided to make the sliced onions and peppers first in a foil pan and on top ( once browned ), I'd add the shawarma to cook. Thus I also avoided other foods on the small surface cross contaminating. I was making sausages for my family that day as well.


 As you can see it turned out lovely. The next time I will not let the peppers cook as long.

This recipe is based on one I saw on Nigella Bites.

Ingredients:

1 lemon, zest, and juice
1 large skinless boneless chicken breast - sliced in half and then into pieces
Olive oil to marinade
Paprika to taste, but enough to color the chicken
Coriander powder, 2 teaspoons
Cumin powder, 2 teaspoons
Chili flakes to taste
Salt to taste
4-6 crushed garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
Cinnamon and nutmeg powder to taste

Place all the ingredients in a ziplock bag and marinade the chicken for 30 minutes to several hours.

Heat BBQ or oven 350*. Cook until 165* internal temperature.

This is a favorite in my house. I hope soon it will be in yours too.


Comments

Popular Posts