Classic Apricot Preserves - Jars of Sunshine for Winter


Apricots are little amber and orange balls of joy, as far as I am concerned. They are also very difficult to get ripe, firm, and sweet here in eastern Ontario. I have been trying for the last 6 years and each time I buy them they are disappointing. They can't be used for long term storage or even just fresh. This year I scored, and I am so excited! I know I am diabetic but when I indulge I love apricot jam, or apricot in yogurt and granola, or ice cream.

I bought the new Americas Test Kitchen magazine for preserving and found a lovely simple small batch apricot preserve recipe. This is that recipe. It is called classic apricot preserve.

Note please, all normal canning rules apply, if you do not know proper canning procedure please go to the NCFHP web site and educate yourself. Here is a link for you to do so:

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/uga/using_bw_canners.html

There are also Ball canning and Bernardin canning sites to read as well, all three of these sites are safe canning sites. Also please invest in the books from the same source. This magazine also adheres to all safety practices, so please don't be creative. Follow the rules.

Yields 4-5 one cup jars
Prep 25 minutes
Cook 50 minutes
Process 10-25 minutes depending on altitude where you live

What you need:

3 pounds ripe firm apricots, pitted washed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces ( 8 1/2 cups )
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons bottled lemon juice

Do not double this recipe.



I hope you enjoy! Comment below if you have any questions!

~Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts