Greek Apricot Spoon Sweets - Small Batch Apricot Preserve

I love canning season. I always get energized like that battery bunny...and I crash by October.


I go to the market and trip over my own feet when I inevitably stop short as I admire the latest and freshest fruit and vegetables. At this time of year, a trip to the produce section is in order every morning, else you will miss something.

Yesterday I found Yellow Ontario plums, my absolute favorite for jam making. I also stumbled across Ontario Apricots. While in line to pay for the plums, I was looking at the magazine section when low and behold I found the new Americas Test Kitchen foolproof small batch preserving magazine.


I trust America's Test Kitchen recipes and books. So when I was looking at the recipes at home, I saw Greek Apricot Spoon Sweets and the rest is history.

I like small batches because you can make something and taste it without a huge investment of space, time, and money. There were a lot of things I made in the beginning of my canning adventures that we did not like and consequently did not eat. This preserve is kept in the fridge and lasts 6 weeks. I like that because I did not have to get out the whole canning event paraphernalia. I just needed the basics. A pan, some honey, sugar, and bottled lemon juice ( Realemon ). Please use normal sanitation practices on all surfaces prior to beginning the process.

Ingredients: Yield 2 pints. Please sterilize the jars prior to filling.

1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup honey
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 pounds ripe apricots, ripe firm pitted, cut into eight wedges
2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice

Method:

Boil (carefully) sugar, honey, and water in a pot till reduced to 2 cups syrup, about 10 minutes.


Add the apricots and lemon juice. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat.


Using a funnel and slotted spoon, gently pack the apricots into hot jars ( sterilized jars ). Ladle syrup over apricots to cover. Slide wooden skewer along the inside to release air from the jar, removing air bubbles. Let the fruit cool completely, cover, and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving. It can be refrigerated for 6 weeks safely.

Ok, I tried some before it cooled. It is outstanding! Delicious! It will be gone before I have time to think. For sure on ice cream, in cakes, over yogurt, and in oatmeal. I better get a hold of my farm friend, Bruce Posch, and order some more organic honey from www. poshhoney.com. Thank goodness for the food in jars challenge, its made me get back to filling my beloved Mason jars with goodies.

~Hugs From Mum

#fijchallenge #apricots # greekapricotspoonsweets

Comments

Popular Posts