Herb Cheese Bread - "Sunbow Bread"


I knew I liked this new method ( for me ) of adding fresh herbs to my bread dough, an idea shown to me on facebook by Sunbow Pendragon. So yesterday I also added some grated Parmigiano Cheese. The resulting savory taste and textures were perfect. I'd say this is the bread for any robust meat sandwiches you like because of the background in the bread. I think it would stand nicely toasted and on the side of chive scrambled eggs or in a roast beef sandwich...or better yet Croque Monsieur.


These are the herbs I used: Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, and Chives. Once chopped small it amounted to 1/2 a cup.


As some of you know, I have been struggling with the decision of a second oven and considering all the choices was brain-twisting. However, in the end, there really was only one choice for me. I wanted two ovens so I went with a Wolf Gourmet Counter Top Oven. I love this little brute. It is the perfect solution.

I love this small oven and made the loaf in it, including the proofing of the bread.


Servings: One large loaf - Sunbow Bread

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons dry active yeast
1 1/3 cup lukewarm water ( 110* )
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs
1 cup grated hard cheese of choice ( if salty cut salt amount in recipe )
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups flour
1 egg beaten

In a large bowl, add the yeast to the water and let stand 10 minutes for the yeast to proof. If it does not bubble it's not alive so start again with a new batch. It is no use making bread if your yeast is dead.

In a bowl ( stand mixer would be fine ) add the sifted flour, salt if using. Cheese and herbs. Let the bread hook combine the dry ingredients. Once the yeast is bubbling add the olive oil and egg to the water.

Slowly incorporate the liquid into the flour while the mixer is running. Be careful not too vigorous because it will blow back out of the bowl. You may need to add a little water or oil if the dough won't come together. Every day and every time you make a bread dough it can react differently. Do not panic. If it is too wet add a little flour a tablespoon ( or less )  at a time if it is dry add a few drops of water at a time.


Enjoy, my friends!

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts