Roasted Tomato Paste w/ Herbs & Garlic


As I have mentioned in a previous post, I like to roast my tomatoes and freeze the sauce. Here is the link to that post:

http://cookinmumsculinaryadventures.blogspot.ca/2017/08/summer-tomatoes-become-winter-sauces.html

That being the case, I have tomato skins from 50 pounds of tomatoes every time I make a summers season of sauce. I can't usually roast that many in a day or even two but three days, and I'm done. Yesterday was day three, and I had a nice sized bowl of skins left. As they sit they collect a lovely intense oil in the bottom formed from the roasting process. I usually pour it off into the pot I am cooking down tomatoes in. On day one, I simply took the skins and put them in a blender and added them back to the sauce so as not to waste them. On day two, I did the same. On day three, I was getting inventive and did not want all the same tasting sauces, so I left the skins out. That left me with a problem. Four cups of tomato ambrosia which must be used for something.

I  did not want to waste the skins, the flavor is amazing. I could have dehydrated them, which I have done in the past and then made tomato powder out of them, but they had oil on them so that would not work this year. Therefore I was forced to think of some other way. I put them in my blender and added olive oil and some tomato water from the sauce I was currently cooking and created " Roasted Tomato Garlic and Herb" tomato paste. In the picture above if you look at the pint jar on the left, I pureed the skins longer so they were smoother, in the pint jar on the right you can still see some skins, so I put that jar back in the blender and emulsified it more. The result was perfect tomato paste with out the endless cooking down time. I will now cool it overnight in the fridge and tomorrow I will transfer it to smaller containers and freeze it. I use a lot of tomato paste over the winter in my curries and stews and soups, this will be fun to use.



~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts