Dehydrating & Making Vegetable Powders For Storage


I think you need a small dehydrator. They are very inexpensive and they are workhorses for food storage. Many people get very creative with their dehydrator but I like simple one-product-at-a-time things. I purchased a half bushel of my favorite sweet red peppers and I roasted some, froze them, and I dehydrated a small amount--eight, I think. I sliced them into strips and put them in my 7 shelf Nesco dehydrator. I purchased it for $35.00 on Amazon and it has served me well for years now.


The strips were beautiful and I could have used my jar attachment food saver to close of the jars and be done with it but I had a feeling I would use the peppers in powder form much more so I placed them in my grinder and made these two-quart jars into powder. It took up so much less space in these little jars. I can add this powder to everything from stews to pizza dough. I will seal the jars with my food saver and keep them safe till I need them.


Next year I will dehydrate the roasted peppers as well. I think that flavor would be stellar in any meal.


Here are the peppers I roasted and skinned. The flavor is amazing. Powdered, it would be excellent. Cooking is about flavor layers, sauces, and little dashes of some unknown simple ingredient. Dehydrated vegetable powders are an excellent way to achieve that without store-bought packets.

#redpeppers #dehydrating #foodstorage #fromscratch

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts