Roasted Red Peppers - Buying & Storing When The Season Provides



There is nothing like the smell and taste of fresh roasted red peppers in well, everything. On a sausage and peppers panini, roasted red pepper pasta sauce, roasted red peppers in a salad, roasted red pepper soup and added to stews. Now, what's funny? I am the only one in my family that likes them. But Mama is going to have her winter dinner supplies available. I can't wait to add it to my fish dinners as a puree with cream sauce.


I bought a half bushel last week because they were beautiful and only cost $9.00. In the winter, they cost $2.00 each.

I have 6 in the dehydrator to make powder from. The remainder I will roast at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. I drizzle a little olive oil over them. Make sure to pierce before putting them in the oven, so the steam can escape. After you take them out, let them cool.


Here they are roasted:


I do not cover them as some suggest. No reason. I find I can peel them easily once I can handle them. Here is a video of my doing so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6RIISn2j48&feature=youtu.be

I collect all the juice I can after by straining the skins into a bowl and pouring any juice on the pans into the same bowl. It is delicious pepper juice, do not waste it.


Here they are cooling. I am going to separate them into different containers, some to freeze some to puree with spices and make a paste.

I hope you enjoy!

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts