Got Jars of Applesauce? Make Cake!

Every Sunday we host family dinner. Many times my sweet daughter makes the dessert. Today, I set her a mission to find a recipe that would allow us to use at least one pint of applesauce.

We had made a batch of homemade applesauce the day before and knowing we would not be able to eat it all, even if we gave some away, I felt it was time to bake something with it. This is what she came up with and I was blown away.


 Here is a picture of the applesauce we made:


My daughter found a recipe from Betty Crocker that uses 1 1/2 cups applesauce. She adapted the recipe, which originally called for cranberries and walnuts.


She used our favorite bundt pan:


It baked beautifully. It was done in the center in 50 minutes. I had a little trouble turning it out of the pan even though we buttered and floured the bundt.

Later tonight I will make the caramel sauce and add vanilla ice cream. Let the show begin. Here is  the recipe:

Ingredients:

2 1/2 C flour
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 C sugar
1/2 C butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 C applesauce

Note: you can add walnuts ( 1/2 C ) and cranberries ( 1C ) if you would like, my daughter did not. If you wish to, though, dust them with flour beforehand and add at the end of the mixing process.

Method:

Oven 350*. Add the dry ingredients together and mix to incorporate. In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter. When I say to cream the sugar and butter, I mean for a long time--at least until the color changes--then add the eggs one at a time, and let it mix thoroughly. Reduce the speed of the mixer and begin incorporating the flour and the applesauce alternately and slowly. Pour into a baking pan. The recipe calls for a 12 cup fluted tube cake pan. Greased and floured prior.

Bake for 50-60 minutes.


As you can see, my family managed to taste test well before the cake cooled so there was no dressing up the whole cake for display purposes, but then, food is for enjoying not just to look at. As my husband said, "how will you know if it is any good if I don't taste it first?" It's hard to argue when the deed is done.

I sent home care packages filled with cake, applesauce, and leftovers from dinner for our two senior family members who join us weekly.

My friends, please remember your elderly. They need your attention and protection. They deserve not to be forgotten. Just a phone call makes all the difference.

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts