Vagharela Chawal - Fragrant Brown Onion Rice


There are a few meals that require brown rice in the Pasi culture. Duhn Sak is one of them. It is made in my home with white basmati rice. I have a video showing how I make it on YouTube, here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NIVygkXVs

Here is the recipe for this meal (serves 8 people):

2 1/4 cup rice
2 whole white onions, sliced
2" piece cinnamon
6-8 cloves
6-8 cardamoms, I use green
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons oil

Wash rice and soak for 20 minutes, drain and keep in a strainer for another 20 minutes. I just wash it and strain it.

Heat oil in a pan and fry onions with the whole spices until the onions are brown. Add rice and salt and saute for 2-3 minutes.

Add boiling water to cover the rice by one inch. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer with the pan half covered. Cook till holes appear on the surface. Check rice and see if it is done, toss with a fork ( always a fork ), adding a little more water if required. Keep covered till done.

Toss with a fork in the pan before serving.

Note: I often make my rice in the microwave. I simply add the rice and spices right after they have been fried together and cover with the appropriate amount of broth or water ( 1 inch ) and cook. It is a delicious rice you will enjoy with all kinds of meals.

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts