Cold Soba Noodle Vegetable Salad - Vegan & Gluten Free!




Soba noodles are a buckwheat noodle. Which means that I can consume them without the normal intestinal blitzkrieg. It has been some time since I made them and I had forgotten how much I love them. Soba noodles can normally be found in the Asian section of your grocery store. These lovely beauties came in a large packet with individual-serving sized packets inside, handy for eyeballing your servings.

The other wonderful thing is that it boils in about 3 minutes and can keep overnight in the fridge without much ado. I made these noodles for a Miso soup I wanted to have for supper.


I then kept the excess in the refrigerator overnight and made a cold salad with the remainder the next day.

When I make these types of meals, including rice paper wraps, I use my little julienne handheld grater. I found it in a kitchen store and have never looked back.


In the Soba noodle salad, it is all about the dressing you add over the noodles and vegetables. The salad ingredients are just julienned vegetables, such as cucumber, carrot, thinly sliced green onions, chopped cilantro, and a drizzle of sesame seeds at the end. Then you mix it all together. I found a recipe for the dressing by Jessica Gavin and used it as a guide.

Ingredients for my version:

2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lime juice
Zest of one lemon ( It's all I had, lime was used in the recipe )
2 teaspoons of sugar - I like it on the sweet side
1 shake of Tabasco sauce - more if you like heat
1/2 clove garlic ( I have a grater that makes paper-thin slices )
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons olive oil ( It called for grapeseed oil )

I placed everything in a mason jar, put on the lid and gave her a shake. I then tasted it and adjusted the seasoning. I placed it in the refrigerator to help it marry...hehe.

Assemble the salad and pour over the sauce. Like I say, the sauce is everything.

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts