Mini Chocolate Cake - A Mother-Daughter Cake


The lemon pound cake was sitting on the counter. It looked pretty sad sitting there partially devoured. I had not taken a photo of it when we made it because it had not exited the bundt pan nicely. Therefore as I was sitting looking at the leftover cake, I saw an opportunity to still let it be center stage.

Sometimes what your eyes see is not what it can become. As in life, how you see things is important. I saw a cake that could become a desert for one, worthy of a photo. I want you to see the imperfection in this picture too because nothing is perfect, everything needs reality. You need to know this is a real photo from my kitchen so you know you can do this too.

My daughter and I discussed the project when she returned from class and we spend a few lovely hours laughing, cooking, and making a terrible mess in the kitchen. Eventually, all it took was half a bag of chocolate chips and some cookie cutter rings. I also had some tired strawberries in the fridge and decided they needed their last moments to be immortalized.

I think the cake would have made a wonderful trifle as well. I had the whipping cream and I have the jam, but it was not a Sunday so I was short of mouths to eat it all.

Below you will find the recipe for the chocolate sauce we made, which would be perfect for dipping fruits and other goodies into.

Chocolate Chip Sauce:

1 cup chocolate chips (about half a normal packet)
1/4 cup soft butter
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
3-4 tbs milk

Method:

Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a double boiler, which is as simple as melting those ingredients in a metal bowl sitting atop a pot of boiling water. The steam and heat of the boiling water--of which there does not need to be much of, just enough to cover the bottom of the pot--will slowly melt the chocolate and butter into a silky texture. You can use this product as it is to cover strawberries, apple slices, or even bananas. However, to cover a cake, it will have to be made into a thinner consistency. To do so, mix the sugar (make sure to sift it first so there are no big lumps) and milk in a separate bowl. Fold in the melted chocolate. You may need to add more milk to create a consistency that you are comfortable with. Once thin enough--though not watery--you can dip or pour the chocolate sauce onto anything you wish.

Hope you enjoy this simple yet delicious recipe.

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts