Pho Soup w/ Tofu and Bok Choy



I was wandering on my Instagram feed and came across a video by @jocooks. I became entranced. It was a promotional video for Cambells Pho Soup broth. I am not usually a proponent of storebought broth but since I like soups of all kinds I decided to give her a whirl. 

I was really surprised. It was not good, it was excellent! Now I make all my own broth when possible because I don't do well with additives but once in awhile, I do colour outside the line. 


Here is Jo's recipe, I will note the changes I made to my own batch.


Vegetarian Pho:

Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 25 mins Servings: 6


Ingredients:

• 1 onion, peeled and cut in half - I sliced one up 
• 1 3” piece fresh ginger, cut in half
• 1 star anise
• 1 tsp cloves - I used 3 they have such a strong flavor
• 1 tsp Szechuan peppercorns - did not use, just pepper
• 4 cardamom pods - I used 3
• 1 cinnamon stick - I split one long stick in half
• 1 tsp olive oil
• ½ tsp sesame oil
• 2 large king mushrooms, sliced - I used button mushrooms, maybe 2 cups, they shrink
• 3 cartons CAMPBELL’S Ready To Use Pho Broth - I used 2 cartons
• 1 small carrot, peeled and sliced - I sliced it with a peeler, it cooked faster
• 4 baby bok choy, cut in half - I cleaned the bok choy down to the hearts using 5 of them
• 14 oz rice noodles - I used in packet of Japanese frozen noodles

 Toppings:

• Enoki mushrooms - I used button mushrooms
• Medium firm tofu  - I used firm 
• Green onions
• Cilantro
• Bean sprouts - did not use
• Fresh lime juice
• Hot sauce - I used Tabasco sauce  and some fresh chilies, just a few little pieces
• Hoisin sauce - did not use

Instructions:


1. Place the onion and ginger on a baking sheet and roast under the broiler for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until they start to char.

I just quick-fried the onions, mushrooms, ginger in the soup pot, chopped into nice even slices.

2. In a skillet, toast the star anise, cloves, cardamom, & cinnamon stick for a couple minutes until they get aromatic. Place them in a tea strainer.

I used whole spices in the soup, then removed after the 20 minutes.

3. In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil and sesame oil then add the king mushrooms and saute until they start to brown.

4. Add the roasted onion and ginger then pour all the pho broth in the pot. Add the carrots, cinnamon stick, and the tea strainer. Cook for about 20 to 25 minutes, until the broth develops a rich and deep flavor. Season with salt and pepper if needed.

5. Cook the rice noodles according to package directions.

I microwaved frozen noodles covered in water.

6. Remove the onion, ginger, spices and cinnamon stick from the pot, then add the bok choy and cook for 1 more minute.

7. Assemble the soup by first adding noodles, then king mushrooms, bok choy, tofu, Enoki mushrooms, green onions, cilantro bean sprouts the pouring the hot broth to a bowl. Enjoy with some fresh lime juice, hot sauce, and hoisin sauce.

Now for the tofu. I fried it and when it was turning a little brown, I added a touch of soy sauce to let the tofu absorb the color and salt and caramelized it a little more. It made all the difference. It had a nice salty zing.

It seems like a lot of steps--I know--but it is worth it, I promise. Let's remember that cooking is also about making adaptations to suit your own tastes. We can never truly make the same exact meal that the creator of a recipe makes, it's impossible to copy. Just take the outline and fill it in with your own creativity. 




~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

Popular Posts