Pressure Cooker Cinnamon-Applesauce




In Ontario it is Fall. The leaves are turning brilliant red and yellow. The winds are starting to tear the leaves off the trees, causing a swirling fire and honey-colored carpet of leaves to scrape across the landscape. 


That makes it apple season. I live very close to several outstanding apple orchards. When we drive the country roads, I see all the beautiful red orbs draping down the apple tree branches. It is a beautiful sight to behold. 

Applesauce is a favorite of my daughter's. She and I have already made a small batch. However, I once again could not resist the urge to buy more apples, nothing new there. The last batch we made plain and simple.


This time I was tired when I needed to process the apples. No waste in my kitchen, as you know. It occurred to me that there is probably a much more efficient way to make it if I used my pressure cooker. A quick search and sure enough there is. I sighed when I read it because if it worked it would take no time at all. Tools are for using, so use your tools. 

I have an 8-quart electric pressure cooker. It is rather large, but as Anita Broenink says, go big or go home. I admit I did not measure the content. I just quickly peeled about 12 apples, added them to the pressure cooker ( it became about 3/4 full ) with one cup of water and a splash of lemon. There were three varieties of apples, if you can, mix them up they make a better sauce. I then added 2 tablespoons of cinnamon powder, some vanilla and closed the lid on full pressure. Admittedly, I peeled and tossed the apples into the pressure cooker pot directly, no extra dishes or bowls. I did not add sugar to the cooker, I thought perhaps a sugarless version would be good. Applesauce really does not need sugar unless you plan on long-term storage and if you can make it this fast in a pressure cooker why take up space with jars, some cooks don't have big storage areas. 

Ingredients:

3-8 pounds Apples - as I said I had about 12 apples 
2 tablespoons cinnamon powder
1 cup water or apple juice
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup brown sugar for after the pressure cooker finishes
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Method:

Peel and core the apples. Add the lemon juice and water to the pressure cooker bowl and toss the apples in as you peel them. When you are done add the cinnamon, I used 2 tablespoons but you can use less. Remember that pressure cooking increases the power of the spice or herb you use. Close the pressure cooker and cook the apples for 15 minutes at full pressure. It was suggested 10 minutes but I did 15 minutes. Let the cooker release naturally. 

I then used an emersion blender and pureed the applesauce. It was tasty as is and did not need the sugar but we like it sweeter. I think the next time I will add less water, it was a little too thin for my liking. I placed the pot back inside the cooker and without the lid let it simmer for 10 more minutes to help the sugar melt into the sauce. 

Suggestions: You can put the applesauce on to the stove top and let it reduce the water content and thicken. I did not. You could also dehydrate the sauce and make fruit leather, as suggested to me by April Lord--a great idea. 

I hope you enjoy this one. So simple, easy, and healthy. Add it to your meals. Breakfast oatmeal, pork roasts, or just out of the jar the way my daughter likes it. 

~ Hugs from Mum

Comments

  1. Try your steamer selection.....with just the tiniest bit of water to start...perfecto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. Now I have an IP it has that button.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts