Chocolate Pots de Cream

So it's the holidays and we were happy to host a family dinner for visitors from London, Hong Kong, and Chicago. I do not have many such occasions and love yet dread them. It gives me a chance to stretch my culinary muscles but the labor is not kind to my creaky bones.



Dessert is always a favorite for dinner guests and my darling daughter makes an amazing lemon pound cake so that was on the menu. I, however, decided I had better join the fray on the sweet front. I have been wanting to make Pots de Cream--it's like a chocolate mousse--for some time now and since it needs an overnight rest in the fridge, I could make it, risk failure, and not have the guests denied a dessert. We would "let them eat cake" so to speak.

Well, let me tell you it will be on the menu around here in the future. I am glad I did not find the decadent dessert before now. Who could resist it? Well, not me. A chocolate lover's dream.


I tell you, one of the best gifts I gave myself was my culinary education. No recipe is off the table anymore. I finally don't even need a pictorial guide, I can look at a recipe and know how it will taste, how I can adapt it, and most often I have a successful outcome.

This recipe is adapted from Taste of Home:

Ingredients (Yield 10 servings. You can cut the recipe in half for 5 servings):

2 eggs
1.5 cups half and half cream
4 tablespoons sugar
2 cups dark chocolate chopped up
1 teaspoon vanilla
Dash of salt

Method:

In a saucepan combine the eggs, sugar, and salt. Whisk in the cream. Cook over medium heat until it reaches a temperature of 160*. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate and vanilla. Stir until the chocolate is melted. Pour into dessert dishes, cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Enjoy!

~Hugs From Mum

Comments

Popular Posts