Roast Chicken W/ Corn Gravy

A whole chicken is a beautiful thing.


A whole roast chicken is a beautiful thing too. It's simple, soft, juicy, and comforting. I turn to a whole chicken all the time for dinner. One small bird can feed my little family of four adults a delicious dinner and leave enough for making a beautiful broth from the bones and after that a delicious chicken soup. I get so many miles out this protein, that is why I buy whole birds all the time when they are on sale. I learned in Culinary College how to efficiently debone a whole chicken and that made it an even better purchase if you look at it at a dollar per pound calculation that is.

Last week I made chicken cacciatore from a small whole chicken. I deboned each section, legs and thighs and breasts. I then made a broth from the bones for soup. The cost for the bird was $6.00. That is a good deal in my book.


I like to make a nice corn gravy from the drippings for this meal. I am including that recipe here.

Corn Gravy:

1 cup corn
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
Drippings from a roast bird, or 1-2 cups broth, water or milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:

In a good skillet, a wide one so you can stir without restriction, add the butter. Let it melt and foam. Add the flour and combine while stirring. When it has created a paste, let it simmer a few minutes to get the flour taste to subside. Add the liquid and stir until it thickens. I'd like to make a suggestion here: please purchase a silicon wisk, they do not damage the skillet. I add the broth all at once most times. Then stir. When it is the thickness you prefer you can add the corn. Add salt and pepper to taste. If I want to thin it I add cream. You can add water as well.


 ~ Hugs From Mum

Comments

Popular Posts